11 January 2015

Cat in a Sweet Shop

When it comes to cats, I can normally feel their presence before I see them. One of the creepier thing I've probably ever written, but it is true. People commend me on how I attract random cats in the street and how I get along with normally hostile cats. It's a skill I'm very proud of.

This week I share a story with you where my cat senses weren't working as they should ...

§

Did you mean: kid in a sweet shop
No google, I did not!

§

On a trip to London with my wonderful uni friends we walked through an unusually quiet Covent Garden and we passed a wonderful sweet shop. It had massive Liquorice Allsorts, Love Hearts and various other sweets in the window and it was all purple and lovely. It drew me inside. Oh and before you ask, it wasn't CyberCandy. This shop is much better (oh no she didn't! Cat fight! ... no fights involving cats happened in this story). It's called 'Hardys Original Sweetshop' and it's just round the the corner from that other sweetshop.

© Hardys Original Sweetshop

Whilst in the shop we perused through their wares such and 'Candy Crush' and 'Angry Birds' sweets and vintage tins of fudge. The old and the new. They have traditional jars of sweets that you weigh out. The walls were floor to ceiling with so many types of confectionery and chocolates. There is something for everyone in there. Magical for children and adults. We were talking about how reasonably priced everything was and how wonderful the shop looked when all of a sudden,

Noise: "Meow"

...

My Brain: "Did I just hear a Cat?"

To be honest my brain is rather frazzled recently and I often mishear things so I just disregarded it. Then I heard my friend say "Cat!" As I turn around I see a beautiful Bengal cat which had what I can only describe as giant Puss in Boots eyes. This beautiful cat gave me a look with a mixture of anticipation of everything around her and pure confusion as to why she was outside.

cats.lovetoknow.com

This cat was not only in a harness with a lead but had a contraption that I've heard about on cat lady websites. I dabble on cat lady websites because, well, I am one. It was a pet carrier but in the form of a stroller. But this cat wasn't sitting in it, how it is designed, but sitting on top. She's a maverick. I like this cat. For her to have all this gear, she must go out-out quite often.

They left as quickly as they arrived. The cat and owner walked out of the shop and I naturally followed. The owner placed the cat on the floor and she slowly turned around to us and flashed her massive green/yellow eyes. As the lady pushed the empty stroller up the road the cat looked into every shop window and off they went. 

One thing you may ask about this whole story is "Hey Lucinda, you mean to tell me you're a photographer and you didn't take one photo of this miraculous event. At the time I was so taken aback. By the time I'd realised what was happening the cat had gone. I shouted "NO COME BACK, I WANT TO CUDDLE YOU!" My friends held me back and said "You can't just cuddle strangers cats". "UNHAND ME" I shouted and as they dragged me through the streets of London I yelled "KITTY! KITTY! KITTY!

... 

None of that happened. We went to Pizza Hut. Im a failure I know. Tell you what, the next time I see a cat in a sweet shop I'll definitely take a photo. Deal? Deal!

§

When I told my parents this story my Mum made a valid point of saying, "There's no rule against cats in shops. Only dogs!" Very true. I've never seen a 'no cat' sign in any retail outlets. One of the many reasons cats are better than dogs. They can shop wherever they wish! 

Cats 1 - 0 Dogs

Lucinda x


Twitter | Instagram | Flickr | Pinterest | Tumblr

0 comments:

Post a Comment