19 October 2014

Words are a Powerful Thing!

"Hey, hey Lucinda! How's the blog going!"

Yes, yes, it's been a while hasn't it. Apologies about that. One of those situations where life gets in the way and takes over. Things are still very busy at this end but I thought I'd take some time to sit and write something. 

I started this blog because a) I wanted to start one for ages and thought why not and b) During university my writing improved immensely and I didn't want that to stop after I left so having an outlet on the internet was one of the best ways to do this.

One thing I have learnt about writing over the past couple of years is that 'words are a powerful thing'. The ability to leave an impact upon people by just using words has always impressed me. Sometimes while I'm writing, this can feel rather daunting. So much so it can sometimes be difficult to put pen to paper*. So I have been looking into how some writers get into that writing zone and get their creative juices** flowing. 



Emma Thompson
Back in September 2014, Emma Thompson delivered a screenwriters' lecture for BAFTA and BFI. She opened her lecture barefoot, wearing dungarees and sweatshirt. The stage had chair, desk, yoga mat and a box full of draft scripts. Emma walked around the stage, done some yoga, writing, lounging around and hoovering. She explains that this is how she writes (with additional foetal positions and crying). It's good to know that even an acclaimed writter such as the delightful Emma Thompson still has distractions. (A yoga mat is a lot better than going to get four chocolate HobNobs. *ahem*)

  

There was one part of Emma's lecture which struck a chord with me. She said;

"... just write, it doesn’t matter what you write. It does not matter, just sit at that desk and write."

She explains if you just write SOMETHING, that is then something to work with and you can edit, tweak and shuffle around. This is ... to be honest ... very smart. I wouldn't start editing a photograph if I didn't have an image in the first place!

So that is what I'm doing. Sitting at my desk and writting. Although I'm typing with my left hand whilst one of my cats sits awkwardly on my lap and arm. But at this point I have a flow of idea an am able to write some sort of coherent sentences. On a non creative day I could probably string together cat, water, lamp, potato, potato, potato. But admittedly I could probably string that together into some sort of readable passage ... maybe ...




Giovanna Fletcher
Lovely, lovely Mrs Giovanna Fletcher. Actress, McWag, Mummy, Vlogger AND Author. Gi has written three books now and she recently started a YouTube channel. One of her most recent video she talks about her writing tips. (You can watch that video here!) This video came at a good time for me!

  


Gi talks about what helps her through a writing day. She's says read what you've written the day before, set yourself a target for what you want to achieve for the day and be adaptable. If you're in the mood to write, then write! You don't have to be at your desk. If your travelling or in bed then that's fine too. But overall Gi says do what's best for you, which is probably the best advice to anyone.

Gi also talks about some things that didn't even cross my mind. For example wear comfy clothes. Very true. Sitting down to do something creative in skinny jeans sounds bloody awful! She also said; 

"Never sit down when you're hungry, thirsty of need the toilet"

Have everything you need in front of you before you get into a creative flow so you don't have to get back up again and loose your trail of thought. Made me think back to school exams and having everything on your desk. Mind you the reminder of exams may not be best for everyone, so going back to what Gi said before ...

"Do what's best for you"

Gi has lots of advice in her video so if you wants to hear more words of wisdom watch her video here



Have a look at her other videos too because she's so blooming lovely!



These days my writing hangs out here, on this blog! This time two years ago I was just starting my dissertation. Also five years ago I was writing A Level drama essays and my UCAS Personal Statement. Whilst writing all of these things I still had that phrase "words are a powerful thing"rattling around in my mind because my words had to make an impression on who was reading them. One thing I would say is that over the years, even though the types of writing I do have changed, my nature of writing hasn't. Also the techniques have grown and developed. Practice makes perfect ... possibly.

Whether you write books, scripts, songs, articles, essays, or little old blog posts like myself, writing is still writing. A method that someone has for writing a book could work for someone else who is writing a song. Be open to everything as that's when you could strike gold!


I may not be a writing expert but I do have some advice which has helped me over the years;
  • Don't wait until later if you have an idea. Do something with it immediately otherwise it will disappear like a rabbit down a hole and it will be bloody difficult or impossible to coax it back out again. If you can't do anything with it straight away, write it down and come back to it later. Don't leave it to long though. It will be difficult to decipher what banana pancake hat means out of context.
  • Have a trustworthy, handy, delightful person be your proof reader***. They will spot mistakes that you wont see. This is certain! You read your work through the eyes that created them. You may read your work how it was intended. Not how it was finally produced.
  • Be open to guidance and suggestions from anyone. Family, Friends, Teachers, Lecturers, an article in the paper, something written on the side of a bus stop, that annoying person on Facebook, that quirky little blog post you just read *ahem*. Inspiration can come from anywhere so be receptive and the idea you have been waiting for may appear.

Words Are a Powerful Thing. Remember that every time you write something. But don't let it hold you back. Let it drive you forward! You are leaving an impression on somebody, somewhere in the whole world. They are reading, listening, watching, feeling those words and they came from you! Your mind! Your wonderful, creative, enlightening mind!


Oh and one last piece of advice before I go ... SAVE YOUR WORK!

Lucinda x

* Or fingers to keyboard, but that doesn't sound as good.
** Don't think I've ever written the words juices in that context before. Juices. JUICES. Okay I'll stop.
*** My proof reader liked that part!


Twitter | Instagram | Flickr | Pinterest | Tumblr

0 comments:

Post a Comment