12 June 2014

10 Things I Learnt About Prom


It's prom season! During my school years I was lucky enough to be able to go to Prom and two Balls* in Sixth Form. My prom was on a river boat down the Thames and both Balls where at a swanky golf club. Even though this was a few years ago, I though I'd share to any prom goers what I wish I'd known about prom before hand and how to have as much fun as you can while you're there.


  1. It's not like the movies. All those films you watched in your teens. Mean Girls, Never Been Kissed, 10 Things I Hate About You ect. It's nothing like that. It's just not!
  2. Research from past pupils. More than likely your school will use the same venue for prom as previous years. If you are friends with people who were in the year above you at school, or siblings, ask them about it or check their Facebook/Instagram photos of their Prom. In doing this you can see what the venue is like, what people where wearing ect.
  3. It's unlikely you'll wear the outfit again. You will forever associate the outfit you wear to prom, with prom. I wore a large ball gown to prom, it's extremely unlikely I'll ever wear it again. But when I see it hanging in the loft, it reminds me of prom. Although things like shoes, bags, accessories, ties, jewellery etc. are easier to re-wear. I have most certainly reused my shoes and bags. So bare this in mind when buying your outfit. Spend an appropriate amount of money on what you are going to wear. Also check eBay. My dress was custom made and was reasonably price, so check eBay!
  4. Feel comfortable. I really can not stress this point enough. If you are not confident in what you are wearing or don't feel right in yourself then rethink your options. If the outfit doesn't feel comfortable or doesn't feel you, try something else. If your make-up feels heavy, uncomfortable or not you, then try something else. IF YOU SHOES ARE UNCOMFORTABLE OR PAINFUL, WEAR THOSE THAT ARE COMFORTABLE. I'm shouting that because I need to listen to this point more. For those wearing dresses, if your dress is long and you can't see your shoes, wear the comfortable shoes you already own. This goes for guys too. A good pair of comfortable shoes will be your best friend.
  5. Plan with enough time to spare. If you want to make prom as stress free as you can, then plan ahead. If you are wearing make-up, practice it. Make sure it photographs well in daylight and flash photography. (Foundation with SPF cause flashback/a white sheen on you face.) Ensure what you plan to do with your hair is a viable option on the day and there's enough time to get it done. Check your outfit look great together and do a full dress rehersal with enough time for you to be able to fix it if it's not quite right. If you are going there with people make sure there's a place and time to meet and your transport is reliable. Plan, plan, plan!
  6. It's okay to not have a date! I know that having a date at prom may seem very important for some people, especially when it seems so important in the films. But prom is about having fun with the people who made school fun for you. Go to prom with the people who made school enjoyable/bearable for you. Being able to spend an evening with the people you care about while look you best is a fantastic experience so spend it with those you care about. Wether that's a date or not.
  7. Take your own photos. When I look back and the photos from my proms, the photos taken by the professional are very 'posey' and those taken by myself and my friends are where we look like ourselves and having great fun.  The photos you are your friends take will be more natatural and more you then forced ones taken by the photographer. If you can, take you portable camera so you can take pictures of all of the people you want to take pictures with. It's likely you will not see a lot of these people again after school, so make sure you get photos with your favourite people.
  8. The party doesn't start until it gets dark. What I found with these type of event is that people don't get down to the dancing until it gets dark. With these events happening near the longest day, it can take a while before it gets dark. I say get all of your photos taken when the lighting is good and you look presentable, then when the sun sets, let loose and dance all night!
  9. Teachers like to get drunk! They really do! Remember, teachers are real people and they want to let their hair down too. A year of learning for you was a year of teaching for them. They will show you their moves and get in all your photos, so have fun with them too.
  10. Have Fun! This is you reward for all of your hard work this year. So bare all of these points in mind, but it's more important you have fun. Be sensible, but have fun!


So that's 10 things I learnt about prom. If you are about to have you prom, I hope you have a great time. If you're like me and prom was a while ago, tell me what you wish you'd known about prom below!

Lucinda x

* Insert Kenneth Williams - Ooo matron, Leslie Phillips - ding dong or Quagmire - Giggity. Depending on your preference. 


Twitter | Instagram | Flickr | Pinterest | Tumblr

0 comments:

Post a Comment