7 May 2014

Eurovision Favourites

It is fast approaching one of my favourite times of year in the entertainment calendar. 
The Eurovision Song Contest!


 

For those of you not aware of Eurovision, it is a televised singing competition across Europe where each country votes for a winner. Each country tries to out do each other in performance and song, and whoever wins gets to host the competition the next year.

Eurovision has been going since 1956, but I started to really enjoy it in my early teens*. So I would like to show you some of my favourite songs which have come out of Eurovision (and I most probably voted for.) 


Tom Dice - Me And My Guitar 
Country: Belgium Year: 2010 Position: 6th 
This is a beautiful song that I like to play on the guitar. It's rare to see such a stripped back song on Eurovision with no large production or pyrotechnics, but this song doesn't need it. Lovely lyrics too. This song must of captivated Europe in some way as Tom came 6th. 

Kalomira - Secret Combination 

Country: Greece Year: 2008 Position: 3rd
A fun poppy song which I remember singing and dancing to at school. Also include a costume change during the performance which is oh so Eurovision!

Loreen - Euphoria

Country: Sweden Year: 2012 Position: 1st
Another song which went against the Eurovision stereotype having a dance/club vibe to it. It actually charted at number 2 in the dance charts here in the UK (3rd in the official chart). I actually downloaded this song, that how much I love it. I've also seen a guy jam out to this on the train which made me smile. Awesome song!

Alexander Rybak - Fairytale

Country: Norway Year: 2009 Position: 1st
This was a song that got young hearts racing across Europe. An man singing about fairytales and playing the violin. Yes please! When watching this, back in 2009, it was quite magical with the floaty dress and dancing men. Still a cool song.

Jon Lilygreen & The Islanders

Country: Cyprus Year: 2010 Position: 21st
I bloody loved this song and I was really sad that it came 21 out of 25. Pretty sure I voted too! Many years later when listening to this song I thought 'I recognise that voice'. You may know the lead singing, Jon Lilygreen, from the duo Lilygreen & Maguire. I saw them when they supported Olly Murs on tour. Lilygreen is still very talented in both voice and guitar so go and check out his recent stuff.


Eurovision Song Contest 2014 takes place in Copenhagen, Denmark. The Semi Finals are the 6th and 8th of May and the Final is May 10th. Boy am I looking forward to it!

Lucinda x

*That's mid 2000s if you want to do the maths ;)


Twitter | Instagram | Flickr | Pinterest | Tumblr

0 comments:

Post a Comment